- string games workshop with Philip Noble
string games workshop with Philip NoblePRINT THIS PAGE
In the framework of the new group creation of Eleanor Bauer, Tentative Assembly (the tent piece) workspacebrussels hosts a workshop on string games with Philip Noble. Next to the dancers of Tentative Assembly (the tent piece), 7 participants can join the workshop.
The workshop will include
• An introduction to the history, wide ranging occurrence and general anthropological background to string figures.
• Some examples of string figure play from around the world will be demonstrated and taught.
• Several simple games based around the cat's cradle designs and other games for more than one player.
• An introduction to a method recording and aid to memorizing string figures (each person should bring notebook and pen, I will provide the string!)
• The aim is to give a broad grounding in the understanding of the origin and significance of string figures
• to teach some new designs
• to give an introduction to the whole subject for future exploration in collaboration with other art forms.
There will be opportunity for a few people to take part in a more intensive learning session of new designs on either Wednesday, Thursday or Friday of the same week.
A decisive moment came for Philip, who has degrees in Science, Divinity and is ordained into Christian ministry, when he saw an old man making a string game in Papua New Guinea. He realised the significance of being able to graciously receive in order to give. He discovered string games are more than just a story telling medium; they are a living symbol of the beauty and power of effective communication.
In 1978 Philip co-founded the International String Figures Association with Dr Hiroshi Noguchi of Waseda University in Japan. It now has a strong International reputation and links string figure enthusiasts around the world. Since then Philip has travelled widely teaching and collecting string figures, written two books on the subject and in 2008 worked with Audi cars in 2008 to produce a TV commercial of a car made out of string games.
21/11/2011 : 14h - 18h30 for 7 participants
The 7 participants will be divided in 3 groups a, b et c :
Group a : 2 participants
Group b : 2 participants
Group c : 3 participants
23/11 : 11h - 14h group a
24/11 : 11h - 14h group b
25/11 : 11h - 14h group c
No other productions found