In season 2024-2025, KAOS and workspacebrussels invite three individual performing artists for a research residency within a psychiatric context. The invited artists are welcome in the shared working studio, living spaces and garden of the Psycho-Social Centre (PSC) St.-Alexius in Ixelles.
The residencies are open to individual artists in the performing arts (theatre, dance, performance, crossovers) who may or may not have a mental vulnerability themselves. We ask candidates to motivate why they find a residency in this context relevant and what the link is to their own work.
Please note: Artists with a practice situated in the visual arts can apply via a separate open call, which is organised by KAOS itself. More information on this can be found here.
- Location: on the site of PSC St.-Alexius (Gewijde-Boomstraat 102, 1050 Ixelles) and KAOS (Opperstraat 73, 1050 Ixelles), with access to a shared studio, meeting space and garden
- Timing: two months between 1 October 2024 and 30 June 2025 (term and intensity to be discussed according to the artistic plan)
- Remuneration: a half-time contract (50%) for two months according to the CAO performing arts, PC 304 (details to be discussed according to the artistic plan)
- Expenses: a reimbursement for travel expenses by public transport
- Accommodation (optional): in a community house of Sheltered Housing Ixelles, together with seven permanent residents with a psychotic vulnerability
KAOS is not a place dedicated exclusively to the arts, but a place to share with many other realities. You are invited to be part of the (layered) reality of this context.
How to apply
To apply for a residency, we expect you to answer some questions about yourself and about your artistic plan for the residency. All the questions can be found in the online application form at the bottom of this page. This form must be completed in full. You can answer the questions either in writing or via an audio or video recording. We are happy to read or listen to you in Dutch, French or English.
- Written text: the maximum length per answer is indicated in the form
- Video or audio: please answer the questions via a recording of max. 5 minutes
The open call will be launched on Tuesday 14 November 2023. You can complete, save and/or edit your form until Sunday 14 January 2024 at 10pm. At that time, the online system will be closed. So be sure to click 'submit' before the deadline. No applications will be accepted after the deadline.
Artistic proposals will be selected by the workspacebrussels and KAOS teams. We select three artists for the 2024-2025 residency programme. All applicants will receive a reply by e-mail on Friday 1 March 2024.
Contact Elke from workspacebrussels or Mike from KAOS.